So Yogis, I have a question for you? When was the last time you went out with friends and hit the dance floor? For most of us, the answer would be a cousin's wedding, high school reunion (like where this photo is from), or when I was in college. That answer is EXACTLY why, you need to get to a Dance Fitness Class.
As we age it is important to keep our heart and mind healthy.... and getting outside your comfort zone - or BACK IN TO your comfort zone, is a perfect way!
Here are 5 Reasons YOU Need to get to a Dance Fitness Class:
1. It is FUN! It really is like a party! The instructors are on a mic, the music is full of beat, and everyone is having a great time! You often hear lots of "Woohoos", and "YEAH", and "that's right"! 😄 Most teachers dim the lights and the music is loud. It takes you back! Back to a carefree time of friendship, fun, and music.
2. It is cheer camp or dance camp without the drama! Choreography is good for the BRAIN! As a former cheerleader, I have many fond memories of cheer camp. I loved learning new choreography and working on matching my body to the beat. That's what this class is like! Except there is zero peer drama! All you got to do here is show up, have fun, and remember to smile. If you were in a cheerleader, dancer, or you feel like you have zero rhythm at all, it's still OK. Dance Fitness classes like this don't require that you hit every move full out, or any move for that matter. Just as long as keep moving, and enjoying the beat, you will get a great workout! But not only your body is working, but also your brain. In this great article posted on the Les Mills Website " Modern research shows that throughout your life the brain has the ability to adapt and regenerate – all it needs is the right environment. Dance classes can be the perfect place. For most of us dancing is both physically and mentally challenging. It combines the processing, coordination and execution of unique movements and requires a lot of genuine concentration. This type of active concentration-based activity can increase the amount of cells in the brain’s hippocampus. Cell growth in the hippocampus is important because one of the first areas of the brain to show deterioration, causing problems with memory. If you proactively look to increase the amount of cells in the hippocampus it can potentially lower the risk of suffering from terrible conditions such as dementia and Alzheimer’s in old age." So why not, give your brain a workout along with the body.
3. It is a great cardio workout! Options like Zumba state that it is "A total workout, combining all elements of fitness – cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility, boosted energy and a serious dose of awesome each time you leave class". Les Mills Sh'Bam says describes itself as "A fun-loving, insanely addictive dance workout. SH’BAM™ is an ego-free zone – no dance experience required. All you need is a playful attitude and a cheeky smile so forget being a wallflower – even if you walk in thinking you can’t, you’ll walk out knowing you can!" Jazzercise is described as "a pulse-pounding, beat-pumping fitness program that gets you results…fast. It’s a calorie-torching, hip swiveling dance party with a hot playlist to distract you from the burn." Beachbody's CIZE says " Performing these pulse-pounding, thrilling workouts is serious cardiovascular conditioning, core strengthening, and overall muscle toning—all at once." ----- For me, I don't care much about the number of calories I am burning, but I do know with each class my heart is beating hard, I'm breathing heavy, sweat is dripping down my face, and I'm enjoying it all along the way! These classes are full of laughter, and great for your heart. Trust me when I say, you forget you're doing cardio!
4. You get to move your hips! Often times in our strength training or yoga practice we are so rigid. We forget to add the fluidity to each movement, taking time to move your hips, stomp your feet, pop the booty, and get low! Circling your hips or doing a body roll, can also tap into your sassy feminine side. Giving you a quick reminder, that even on days when you don't feel like it - You are still sexy, you are beautiful, and you STILL GOT IT! This playfulness in your dance will then transform into playfulness on your yoga mat or other areas of your life.
5. You're finally wearing shoes! Yogis here is an excuse for a new pair of athletic kicks or dance shoes! What girl doesn't like an excuse to go shoe shopping! You can also pull out any of the workout gear you have that isn't necessarily intended for yoga. Again another excuse to hit the shops!
So there you have it - My 5 reasons you should be adding Dance Fitness to your life! There are lots of great options online through YouTube, but I HIGHLY recommend you find a LIVE CLASS and take a friend!